On May 1st, 1839 two Polish immigrants, Antoni Patek (Businessman) and Franciszek Czapek (Watchmaker) joined forces to found “Patek, Czapek & Cie” in Geneva.
In 1844, Mr. Patek met the French watchmaker, Mr. Adrien Philippe in Paris where the latter presented his pioneering stem winding and setting system by the crown.
In 1845 when Czapek decided to leave the company and to continue his activity on his own, the company name changed to “Patek & Cie”.
Later on, in 1851 when Mr. Philippe officially associated with the company, it was rebaptised “Patek Philippe & Cie” before changing once more in 1901 for “Ancienne Manufacture d’Horlogerie Patek Philippe & Cie, S.A.”.
In 1932, the company was purchased by Charles and Jean Stern, two brothers owners of a fine dial manufacture in Geneva. Since then, « Patek Philippe S.A. » remains a family owned firm. In 2009 the company presidency was officially transmitted from the 3rd to the 4th generation : Mr. Thierry Stern became president and his father Mr. Philippe Stern, Honorary president.
2010 the year of chronographs for Patek Philippe
With its new in-house chronograph caliber CH 29-535 PS, a long awaited manually wound movement that was introduced last November, Patek Philippe has now three different proprietary calibers which strengthens its technical prowess and watchmaking expertise.
The Ref. 5396 Annual Calendar launched in 2006 has characteristic double in-line aperture displays that reflect the style of the 1940s and 1950s. It is now also available in white gold.