Asprey was founded in 1781 in Mitcham, South London.
It was there that William Asprey established a silk printing business. William’s son Charles and his grandson, also Charles, expanded the business into the metallic arts.
In 1841 the elder Charles went into partnership with a London stationer located on Bond Street. In 1847 the Asprey family broke with their partner and moved into 167 New Bond Street, the premises Asprey occupies today.
Asprey advertised “articles of exclusive design and high quality, whether for personal adornment or personal accompaniment and to endow with richness and beauty the tables and homes of people of refinement and discernment.” An early speciality was dressing cases. Asprey not only made superlative traditional cases, they reconceived the category, creating new, more portable designs, especially in leather, suitable for the new style of travel ushered in by railways.
The company consolidated its position through shrewd acquisitions. In 1859 Asprey absorbed Edwards, an award winning maker of dressing cases and holder of a Royal Warrant.
The company purchased the Alfred Club at 22 Albemarle Street, which backed on to the New Bond Street store and meant that Asprey now had entrances on two of London’s most fashionable streets.
Asprey established its reputation as the premier maker of luxury goods by winning a gold medal for its dressing cases at the International Exhibition of 1862. In the same year Asprey was granted a Royal Warrant by Queen Victoria.